Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ATP Feature on Trophiless Fed/Nad

April 7, 2008
ATP World No. 1 Federer, No. 2-Ranked Nadal Look for First Title in 2008 Entering Clay Court Circuit

The first quarter of the season is completed and No. 1 Roger Federer and No. 2 Rafael Nadal are still in pursuit of their first ATP title in 2008.

It is the first time since 1999 on the ATP circuit the top two players going into the European clay court circuit have gone the first three months of the season without winning a title. That year No. 1 Pete Sampras and No. 2 Carlos Moya were winless going into April.

While Federer has gone the first three months without an ATP title for the first time since 2000, Nadal has been without a title since July last year. No. 3 Novak Djokovic has gained ground with titles at the Australian Open in January and ATP Masters Series Indian Wells last month. The 20-year-old Serb is the ATP 2008 Race leader with 331 points and Nadal follows with 249 points. Federer is 6th with 160 points.

See Full ATP 2008 Race

Nadal compiled a 21-6 match record (most wins) on hard courts with runner-up efforts in Chennai (l. to Youzhny) in January and at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami (l. to Davydenko) on Sunday, falling to Russian opponents each time.

After his runner-up performance in Miami, Nadal was asked about the start of the year. "You know, we have only three months already on the season. Roger has lost more than usually, but it wasn't due to bad results. He's not far away about his level. Djokovic is unbelievable, but at the same time, I am not so far away than Djokovic, too. (I) Play very good start of the season. My goal was to have 1,000 points (200 race points) after Miami. I say before the season my goal is to have 1,000 points in Miami and I will have, I don't know, 1,200, 1,250, something like this. I improve my goal. Last year I have in this moment, this tournament, when I finish winning the Indian Wells I have 1,025 points. I improve. It's a lot of points in three months, so happy for that."

Federer's four tournament span without reaching a final marks the first time since he's been No. 1 going back to Feb. 2, 2004. It is also his longest final drought since the end of 2002 and first month of 2003 when he he went seven tournaments without a final.

"I am disappointed not to see my name, playing in the finals," said Federer after his quarterfinal loss to Roddick. " I mean, it's just disappointing seeing other guys battling it out, you know, where I think, you know, I have the game to obviously play there, be there as well."

Federer, 11-4 on the season, will take a 670-point lead in the South African Airways ATP Rankings over Nadal into the upcoming European clay court circuit, which the Spaniard has dominated over the past three years. Although Federer leads Djokovic by 1,815 points, the Serbian drops 975 points on clay compared to Nadal (2,650) and Federer (1,650) through Roland Garros.

See Full South African Airways ATP Rankings

Federer will be the first to step foot in an ATP clay court tournament next week at the Estoril Open in Portugal where he looks to capture his first title of the year. All three will be together for Masters Series Monte Carlo, which begins Apr. 21. Nadal has beaten Federer in that final the last two years and is three-time defending champion.

Davydenko said after his title in Miami, "Yeah, just to say -- Federer didn't win Australian Open, didn't win Indian Wells, didn't win here. Every different player winning tournaments. Yeah, but it's like season just begun. We have three more Grand Slams, and Federer is -- he's Federer. (laughter). Wimbledon I think he's favorite. Roland Garros, Nadal is favorite for Roland Garros, but physically in tennis just for the clay court. I mean, we'll see in a year."

ATP Profiles: Roger Federer Rafael Nadal

Source: ATP tennis website

-tmsh-

No comments: